Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Adding Color to White Ribbon and Tail O' the Pub Page



Sometimes for me, working without a sketch is a breath of fresh air! It was kinda fun just picking a photo or two, finding some paper that matched (didn't have a lot, don't do a lot of patriotic pages) and running with it. I knew I wanted to make some ribbon roses so I could do a quick tutorial on using mists & inks, but other than that...


This page was made from recent photos we took during our trip to Lake Placid. And, look close, I am actually IN the photo! Can you believe it?



Now these roses are super easy. Use the tutorial I linked up the other day. THEN, figure out what colors you want to use. Now, I don't have red and this shade of blue in glimmermist but I do have them in ink pads. I used the edge of the pad to stain the rose. Then, I used clear glimmermist to allow the inked edges to fade into the flower. Then, poke a hole through and insert your decorative brad.

Now, the second rose I did have colors I wanted to use, but also wanted a stronger green color than I had. So, I inked up one edge and sprayed the rest of the flower with various shades of glimmermist. Now, if you wanted a nice rainbow coloration, you'd use colors that would "fade" into each other. So, red next to a yellow next to a blue. That will make it quite tie dye like.

 I set my rose with some similar colored flowers so I could start planning flower clusters on my page. (Thanks for those cool Prima flowers, Helen!)

Now, back to my page! I wanted to give you a close up of the cluster of flowers I put together along with a photo of the signs at Tail of the Pup. Helen sent me those very cool red and blue flowers, which worked out perfectly. I happened to have some little brads I added to the center. She also send me the doily that I inked up and sprayed with clear glimmermist too. Basically in my book, if you have some kind of clear mist, you can make anything you need from either reinker or ink pads. SHHHHH, don't tell Tattered Angels I said that. There is also a way to make your own mist, but I have not explored that yet. I am sure at some point I will not have that perfect color and will give it a whirl.

List of items used:

White Cardstock
Red Glitter Paper from Stampin' Up
Doily from Helen ;-)
Basic Gray Paper Clip
Red, White and Blue Flowers-handmade and from Helen
Brown Twine
Ink Pads (Holiday Red and Star Spangled Blue) from Close to My Heart
Clear Glimmermist
Brads from Stash

So, I will be linking this up on the Do More With Less Blog challenge. I linked up Kristy's page the other day, but this is all mine!! Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. This is BEAUTIFUL! I loveeeeeeeeeee the photos, the doily and loving that FLOWER!! WOW! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely flowers! Am dying to give them a whirl - just not sure I will get in by Friday, before Yvonne's challenge ends!! Yes I actually did something similar yesterday with mist on paper, I dropped it on using the stick (unscrewing the top) then rubbed it around the page using an ink dabber with clear mist on it, and it swirled around quite magically...but after all that I decided against using that paper so need to use it for something else LOL!! Thanks for the tutorial - your tie=dye ribbon effects are amaaaazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE the look you have given your flowers! I do this with washable markers!
    Thank you for playing along my challenge at Yvonne's blog. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Love the effect you've created on the bloom! It looks awesome! And just the perfect thing to finish off the fabulous layout!

    Thanks for playing along with my guest Erum's ribbon flower challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments. Come on. Leave me one. They make me smile!